Frequently Asked Questions About LASIK
Q1. What is LASIK surgery?
LASIK surgery is a quick and simple procedure, which is done by an eye surgeon to reshape the cornea and improve vision. The goal of this surgery is to improve the way the eyes focus light rays onto the retina.
Q2. How long does LASIK procedure take?
The procedure will only take less than 30 minutes to finish. It is an outpatient surgery so you can go home on the same day. No need to worry about staying at the eye care center overnight to recover from the operation.
Q3. Does LASIK surgery hurts?
A lot of LASIK surgery patients report little to no discomfort during and after surgery. You will not feel pain during the procedure as the surgeon will instill anaesthetic eye drops before starting the surgery. Even during the reshaping of the cornea with lasers, you will not feel any sensation. You will also be administered with pain medication should you feel discomfort after the surgery.
Q4. How do I know if I’m qualified to undergo LASIK?
Not all patients who are keen to do corrective surgery are suitable to undergo LASIK surgery. Your eye care specialist will help you determine whether you are qualified or not. Here are a few general guidelines for your convenience:
- You are least 18 years old. Vision of younger patients may still change overtime so they are not yet qualified for LASIK.
- You are not pregnant or nursing. During these stages, your hormonal levels can affect the shape of your eyes so you may not undergo LASIK.
- You have stable vision and eyeglass prescription for 1 year prior to surgery
- The front and back part of your eye is healthy
- Your cornea should have sufficient thickness
- You do not have eye conditions such as infections, ocular herpes, eye inflammation, or severe dry eyes. These eye conditions could affect postoperative healing of your eyes.
- You do not have unmanaged diabetes or rheumatologic conditions.
Q5. How much does LASIK surgery cost?
LASIK surgery can range from $3000 onwards. The price for every operation may vary, based on your eye condition and the technology used. Atlas Eye’s LASIK packages cover 3 post-operation checkups and 2 years warranty of the surgery results. ReLEx SMILE is the next generation LASIK and it range from $5000 onwards.
Q6. What can I expect after the surgery?
After the procedure, your eyes may feel watery, or you may feel a little discomfort for a couple of hours. This is all part of the healing process and will eventually fade away. You will have functional eyesight the night of surgery or the day after the procedure. You are advised to rest for about a day or two and to avoid strenuous activity until your eyes completely heal. Remember to arrange transport on the day of your operation as you will not be allowed to drive.